Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Road South

We left Ohio on 10/20, destination - Brevard, NC. Our departure was somewhat delayed and we spent night #1 in the Walmart parking lot in Marietta, Ohio. Day #2 went pretty well. The only problem was a 5-mile, 7% grade on I-26 south of Ashville. We had to pull over on the shoulder to let the transmission cool. The leaves were beautiful!



While in Brevard, we stayed at the Davidson River Campground in Pisgah National Forest. Our real purpose was to visit family in the area. We were able to spend time with my brother, Marvin and sis-in-law, Gwen who live in Boiling Springs, SC. They came to Brevard on Friday and we spent the afternoon roaming around Ashville and Hendersonville before meeting my sister, Rose, bro-in-law, Lee and niece, Tammy for dinner. On Saturday, Larry and I drove down to their house where they surprised Larry with a little celebration for his birthday - #50!
The dining room was prepared for a wake in memory of Larry's youth, complete with candles, black cobwebs and a dark-chocolate cake. They went out of their way to find just the right gifts...including an assortment of pills, geezer foods and a daily schedule for him to follow.
Gwen and Marvin even gave him reading glasses and something to keep his old bones warm!
I especially thought the shawl was a nice touch!
We had a great time with Marvin and Gwen and also got to spend time with my nephew, Nick, and his beautiful bride, Carla. It was also nice to meet Carla's brother, Nathan and her parents as well who are in the USA on furlough from their assignment on the mission field in Africa.


We also were able to spend some time with my sister and family at their mountain home in Lake Toxaway. They live on Laurel Drive...and it is very beautiful. However, THIS is Laurel Drive.
It's really beautiful up here, but I don't think I would enjoy this road in winter!
Both my brother and Lee just love to work on "house renovation!" We admire all the the work they both have done over a number of years. My sister and Tammy really love the new kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment